How to be a better Pokemon trainer! (Collector of the TCG!)
We are a store with owners who collect. This puts us in a position to collect in a different way than 99% of collectors. Examples of this advantage include the following:
- We can buy sealed product from our distributor prices (plus GST) and we get it right away.
- We can see the good buys first! (on trade-ins)
- We can accept trade-ins for store credit!
There are lots of good collection practices that you can adopt as someone who doesn't have a store. Here are some ideas:
- Avoid overpaying!
- Do your research! Google! Investigate!
- Can you get it better than MSRP ?
- Build a community! Knowing other collectors and trading is always 100% a better deal than just buying or anonymous transactions.
- Trade nights are ideal to meet other collectors!
- Discuss and engage in Facebook Groups
- Meet at safe places.
- Try to avoid paying fees. (Sometimes fees are necessary including eBay, WhatNot, Paypal G&S). Just don't take risks!
- A person to person (cash) transaction has no fees, where as an ebay sale - ebay takes 12%
- Even with shipping paid for, things can get lost. It can be a risk.
- "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." Avoid getting scammed.
- If price is too good, is it fake? will you get scammed?
- Knowledge is power. Knowing a lot about where cards come from (Special Delivery Bidoof / Charizard) can you give you more insight on how to get cards that will have future collectability.